Saturday, April 6, 2013

Does art change people or do people change art?

No matter how many times I watch Wasteland, it never fails to move and inspire me. It makes me want to run out and cause a commotion - do an art installation on the street and see who accepts my invitation to make art. What might happen? There are some controversial pieces I have been wanting to embark on but lack the time and courage at the moment. When I think of all I might stir up in some of these projects, I have to ask myself if it will achieve my aims, and if it will be worth it for everyone involved. Artists too have to shoulder a sense of responsibility about their work. I suppose that is where the collaboration piece comes in. We can share our ideas with others - the subjects, recipients, and those who might benefit or be slighted in a deep personal way. And then we have a choice to make. As we have discussed all semester, we make decisions and take action with the best of intention; however, we never really know what will result.

I am not suggesting that offending folks is always a bad thing, it can be the spark that is needed to usher reluctant change along. And takes us out of our comfort zone. I do believe we struggle with the balance between the caution and risk; however, the inner discourse is valuable and necessary. Vik and his team had those important conversations about the consequence of bringing the pickers to the studio and taking them to London, and in the end I sided with Vik, it was worth it. Perhaps more important though, for Vik's development was how the experience changed him. I am not sure he bargained for that. We often think that since we have more money, education, and material possessions, we are in the position to change people who have less for the better. All semester we have been talking about reciprocal relationships with communities, a key principle of service learning. And also been about measuring and how the expectation to do so can blind us to the magic of our work and what others bring to the table. When we open ourselves up, and embrace the unknown potential of our work, our growth, and our ability to charter new territory without a fixed expectation we can begin to realize what transformation really means - to ourselves and others. That is my hope for you in this class - through doing the Learning Record for the first time, blogging, working together or solo on projects, meeting new peers and community members, and being willing to make a misstep or two along the way.

I am very excited for your presentations on the 22nd. Remember, this is not show and tell. I want to hear about your passion for your topic and why you chose to invest yourself in your project, why you feel it is important to the world, what you did and learned along the way, and how you plan to continue your work in this particular project or elsewhere as you move forward. Also, how what we studied, read, discussed, and saw in the work of others contributed to your growth, development and work in your project. Share your obstacles and how you learned from them, and what you learned from others. Be creative in your presentation, use multimedia or anything else that helps you articulate your experience. Don't be afraid to take a chance - surprise us!

I leave you with some images of community art practice in Mart and a fantastic article about art and social change. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/24/arts/design/outside-the-citadel-social-practice-art-is-intended-to-nurture.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&ref=todayspaper&adxnnlx=1364155203-YhWr0K7jwL5jeYzVREYEPQ&








4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing Wasteland with us! I had not seen it before and it was this wonderful reminder of not only misconceptions we have about others but also the beautiful picture our lives can become often when we least expect it or realize it. I look forward to hearing about or seeing the art you desire to embark on..I cannot imagine you offending in any way. I love how you put that even the artist has to shoulder a sense of responsibility in their work. I guess that can be said for all of us in our actions and words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasteland was such a good and inspiring movie. I too had not seen it before and as soon as it ended I felt the need to blog about it. It was so inspiring and it left me with a feeling that I should do what Vik did and try to do something like that. It was so impactful that I am now thinking that I might want to shoot different moments next year from the beginning of Project planning in the Fall to the actual Project day and one day compile them and maybe make a small documentary or little film.
    I really liked Wasteland! Thank you for showing it to us!!
    Oh and I would totally go out and help you make that art piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading the New York Times article, I find it so interesting that service practice or service giving could be the new contemporary art in museums. This article closely connects to Vik's artistic style.
    Thank you for sharing the Wasteland documentary. I too had the urge to expand my horizons and help the communities in need while watching this film, it touched my heart and I really hope this it just not an emotional phase. I hope it stays with me so I can apply it everywhere I go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your title, I think both can be true. I remember I took art history in high school and we were learning about a starry night. Now I'll admit i never liked that piece, it didn't do much for me but as i learned about what it represented it became one of my favorite pieces. That piece changed me a little. I learned that art is not always about the end product but its about the journey, failure and all, that it took to create something whether or not it is what you expected. There are so many nice, pretty pieces of art work but the ones I appreciate the most are the ones where you have to get a little dirty to do.

    ReplyDelete