Monday, February 4, 2013

Hi Class,

I read this blog and thought about our discussion today:
http://www.joshiejuice.com/blog/on-the-hysteria-of-anti-affirmative-actions/
I am following a colleague of mine on her blog - she is teaching the same class I taught last year (Foundations of Social Justice) - and she posted about this blog.

I have encountered many conflicting emotions about race, class, culture, when working in communities, particularly in Mart where I am the white family of a black family, a UT professor, artist and founder of the MCP. I wrote and created art work about the complexity of my work there and the consequence of having multiple roles. I will write more about this as the semester progresses and share some of the visual work I did as a result. Reflection helps put things in perspective!

This a picture of Quan Cosby and I - UT social work alum, UT football star and NFL player who was born and raised in Mart. Quan is a supporter of the MCP and still returns to Mart to visit family and make a contribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment